Thursday, February 2, 2017

Welcome to my blog!

Hello and welcome to my blog! My name is Mariah Ferrari and I'm an Art Education major. I'm a junior right now in the program and have not done a lot of field work yet, but I am definitely passionate about art and all that it offers for the youth. I hope to make a difference through teaching my students about how art can be empowering to oneself, and that art can make a difference. I have an interest in social justice as well, which art is often used to promote. Here is a link to an article that has some examples of social justice artwork. I hope to teach about issues that are going on in the world and what we can do and say about them through art. I would like to teach at a high school level, as art is an amazing outlet to express our emotions and unique thoughts and opinions, and many high school students have a lot to say. I'm also a vegetarian which I consider to be part of social justice, so here is a great piece of art creating a commentary about it!
The artist is Dana Ellyn, titled "Pals. Palatable?"

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's extremely interesting how you describe art, the meaning, and impact it can have on others. What are your thoughts about using art to express political issues? I'm a huge fan of Frida Kahlo, who did a lot of self portraits because she said she was so often alone and because she was the person she knew best.. Also, I think it's super cool that your a vegetarian and consider it to be part of social justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that art is a great way to express political issues. Art can say so many things at once and create conversations all through one image. It can be more effective than words sometimes I believe! Also, people can form their own opinion about political art instead of being told verbally what to think.

      Delete
  3. I'm so interested in the idea of social justice artwork, especially how this affects your teaching philosophy and goals. Art can be a bit of a foreign language to me, but I have a deep appreciation for it. The way you talk about art as political already lends itself to me believing that you'd be good at expressing this to students, which I'm really taken with considering none of my high school teachers ever did it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mariah!

    I also have interest in incorporating Social Justice into my work as an educator. I love the way you stylized your blog! I would love see more of your artwork and art that you find. I think art is my favorite form of advocacy.

    ReplyDelete